Thursday, January 12, 2012

Using Blogs to Encourage Collaboration

The article titled Using web logs as a tool to encourage pre-class reading, post-class reflections and collaboration in higher education reviewed how students used blogs to help them complete pre-class reading assignments and post-class discussions.

Several benefits of blogs were discussed. This included the ability for students to see each other's work, the ability of students who don't have personal websites to share with others in cyberspace and the ability for students to learn to be analytical (Al-Fadda & Al-Yahya, 2010). When used for students whose English is a second language, using blogs helps students learn English more thoroughly (Al-Fadda & Al-Yahya, 2010). Forcing students to blog can encourage students to learn new vocabulary and work with other students to determine the best use for English. Lastly, English is the international language of websites so using blogs to help students learn English better will help the students over the long term (Al-Fadda & Al-Yahya, 2010).

Issues faced by students used in the study included a lack of instructor presence on the blogs and difficulty of the level of readings discussed on the blogs (Al-Fadda & Al-Yahya, 2010.

Reading this study allowed me to look at blogs in a different view, as a tool for students to teach them a language. Having the information public can add additional pressure to ensure the information posted and the language used is accurate. I'm not surprised that the study found blogs can come across with low professor involvement and found that it is difficult for students to collaborate and have a vibrant discourse when classes use blogs.


References:
Al-Fadda, H. & Al-Yahya, M. (2010). Using web blogs as a tool to encourage pre-class reading, post-class reflections and collaboration in higher education. US-China Education Review, 7 (7), 100-106.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like our articles were similar and had the same findings! However, I love that this article points out the benefits of English Language Learners. I am taking an ESOL class right now and this would be a great idea to discuss !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer! The computer just discarded my comment, and it was such a good one, and now I have to rewrite one. We're starting to generate a list of ways that blogs have been used and are being used. Collaboration, reflective thinking, practicing language skills are just a few benefits of blogging. Our list of ways to use blogs and their benefits will become rather extensive before we complete our bucket list.

    See, my first comments were better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie, I like this post that you have put up. I didn't think about how blogging might help students to learn a different language or that English was the primary language for blogging. It looks as if blogging has a lot of positive aspects to it, allowing students to collaborate together as a team, pushing students to think outside of the box, etc. You said that there is a lack of instructor presence, I was curious, do you have any thoughts as to how the instructor(s) could get more involved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The study didn't go into detail discussing what the professors did or didn't do to engage their students or make the class feel as if they were part of a class. I wanted to include this in my review but was disappointed the authors didn't include more supporting proof.
      I think this class is off to a good start in involvement - there is a central blog where we can all go to find eachother's blog, the professor has taken the time to read our blogs and comment on them, etc.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't really thought of using blogs to help ESL students before, but I agree with those of you who commented that it seems this is clearly a benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this concept while I was looking for articles to read. The ones that I browsed didn't have strong conclusions though the idea that was promising considering the studies I read stated that it seems to help elementary school students with their reading and writing skills.

    ReplyDelete