Sunday, February 5, 2012

Facebook IPO and news that has come with it

The Facebook craze continues to amaze me. I do have an account and I do use Facebook to catch up on one of my good friends who lives in Austria and my family who lives out of state, but I find I check up on my old high school or middle school friends less and less. In the last two weeks I've even gone so far as to delete all of my pictures I've uploaded in the past to Facebook. The privacy scares and issues that seem to spring up nearly monthly have me nervous as do the news reports that more and more employers and professional groups regularly check Facebook for personal background information. Yes, I had all my settings locked to only certain friends, but I don't make time to check the settings frequently enough to ensure things are still locked down. In a New York Times article I read this quote from a young Facebook user that I felt summed up Facebook pretty well and expressed why I'm trying to phase it out of my life: "Facebook is amazing because it feels like you’re doing something and you’re not doing anything. It’s the absence of doing something, but you feel gratified anyway." How can something that allows its users to feel like they're not doing anything, and be happy while they're doing it, make $3.7 billion dollars last year? Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment