Many times when I ask this question I hear, "So I don't have to carry around my laptop," or "Because my current computer is old and slow and this is the new way." I'm always flummuxed by these answers. I am a laptop lover, I can't remember the last time I went into a meeting or a class to take notes manually. At work I always have my laptop with me. I enjoy being able to take notes, pull up the database, run a SQL query and shoot off a quick email with a question while in a meeting or waiting somewhere. At home, my laptop is for homework, managing my bills, and doing research, mostly on the internet. Thus, when people tell me they want an iPad to replace their laptop, I can't agree because I can't imagine managing this much using just a touch screen.
I'm currently taking CSE 687 Mobile Technology in Education. The main focus of this class is gaining a general mastery of the iPad, thinking of ways we could use this in the class or for other teaching endeavours. In the time I've had the iPad, I've enjoyed using it for our assignments, but I have been frustrated with my inability to use my finger and flick or double tap exactly where I mean to. It makes me realize how difficult it must be for those with big fingers, arthritis or another another ailment that makes very specific hand movement difficult. I've missed my mousepad on my laptop. Desparately. Turns out I'm not the only one. Scott Stein from CNET posted a review of the iPad titled Why my iPad can't replace my laptop: It's the trackpad and he expressed some of the same frustrations I've had with using the iPad.
If you have an iPad, how do you use it (beyond playing the most popular game of the moment)? What is it that I'm missing?
I just commented on the blog of another member of this class and supported the idea that all the bells and whistles are not necessary to make an effective blog. The same is true for iPads. I remember when mobile learning was taught on an iPod and my comment was "When are they going to make this so I can see it and my fingers can work it?" Shortly after that the iPad appeared. Thank-you protectorate of big fingers and weak eyes.
ReplyDeleteI got my iPad about a month after the firts one hit the market because I figured as a tech instructor I'd better know what's going on. I use it constantly but have not thrown the laptop out. I type fast on the laptop. I enjoy the iPad for reading, an occasional relaxing game of solitaire and for the convenience of carrying it with me to meetings and other times I may wish to quickly access the Internet. I also enjoy some of the pdf applications and we love it for sharing pictures of our grandkids and videos of our trip to Africa. It was a life-saver in China, when there was Internet access, but especially for downloading pictures and reading books. Sometimes my fingers still get frustrated with the touch pad on my laptop. I guess I've adjusted to the iPad as I have to the dumps on my road to my house.
I just completed another round of homework on my iPad and did a little research that required the use of Flash (which Apple does not support). I also got hand cramps while holding onto my iPad while doing my homework. I can see how it would be useful for some, but I have confirmed that don't need to spend $500 for a device I can't use without cursing. My laptop is huge and heavy and I take it anywhere and it does EVERYTHING! :-)
ReplyDelete